This is a great recipe for using up stale or leftover bread and I had plenty!
Our recent visitors bought bread rolls like they were going out of fashion and after they had left I discovered bags of stale bread squirreled away in the cupboard. I was about to throw it all away when I suddenly remembered this delicious recipe for bread pudding. It can be served hot as a dessert with ice cream/cream or cold as a cake with your morning coffee or afternoon “cuppa”
250g dried Fruit (Sultanas, raisins, currants) either or a combination of all 3
Zest of 1 large orange
125g demerara or Brown Sugar
3 small or 2 medium eggs
2 level tablespoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
Oven: 175C 350F Gas mark 4
Grease largish flat dish. The one I used for this quantity was (8 x 12inches) 305 x 200mm
– Cut the bread into very small pieces. The smaller the better
– Melt the butter and then add the milk
– Pour the mixture over the bread and mix well. Leave to soak for about an hour.
– Mix the eggs, cleaned dried fruit, orange zest, sugar, nutmeg and mixed spice and add to the bread mixture. Stir well. The mixture should now be of a “dropping” consistency.
– Pour into dish.
– Cook for approx 1 ½ hrs, test with a skewer after an hour. I have found my oven cooks pretty quickly.
Once cooked sprinkle with caster sugar and cut into squares ready to serve.
Please share your “leftovers” recipes